Normal scenario is a child being bullied by another child – but what happens when it is the teacher bullying?
We need to define what teacher bullying is.
- The teacher uses power to punish, manipulate a situation, or disparage a student beyond what is considered to be a reasonable disciplinary procedure.
- The teacher bad mouths the student (in the lunchroom or teachers’ room) to other teachers.
- Other students may notice that “he/she picks on your son/daughter”.
- An insecure teacher e.g. who has problems expressing himself in the students’ native language may bully kids out of envy.
- The teacher may be suffering from personal problems e.g. dealing with parent e-mail enquiries and starts bullying their child in retaliation.
- Sadistist teacher: May get pleasure out of humiliating students, hurting students feeling and being spiteful.
- Teachers who bully may have been bullied in their childhood.